Morgan Stanley Japan Group Co., Ltd.
Morgan Stanley’s long-standing commitment to safeguard the privacy of information entrusted to us is essential. Protecting the confidentiality and security of personal information has always been an integral part of how we conduct our business.
We pledge to ensure our business practices protect your personal information.
This Privacy Statement applies to all personal information that we obtain or handle in Japan.
As a business operator handling personal information (as defined in the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (the “Personal Information Protection Act”)), Morgan Stanley Japan Group Co., Ltd. makes this statement in respect of its basic policies concerning the protection of personal information of (1) Morgan Stanley's clients and (2) other persons involved in our business (hereinafter collectively “you” or “your” depending on the context).
- Where it is necessary for us to obtain personal information, we will only do so by lawful and fair means.
- Unless otherwise agreed to between you and us or in exceptional circumstances (but always in compliance with paragraph 1 above), we will only use your personal information within the scope of achieving the following purposes:
- for performing or soliciting transactions and related services concerning securities or any other financial products handled by Morgan Stanley (including buy/sell transactions, intermediating buy/sell transactions, introduction or brokerage services, private and public offerings, underwritings as well as securitizations, leases and other types of structured finance transactions);
- for providing (a) staff related services including human resource, payroll administrative, benefits, education and training services, (b) IT related services including development and supply of software and hardware, (c) facility, corporate or general administrative services, and (d) any services related or incidental to the services referred to in the foregoing items;
- to properly carry out any outsourcing services, if we are requested by a third party to handle part or all of such third party’s personal information; and
- for any other purposes to enable us to facilitate a transaction between you and Morgan Stanley or adequately and smoothly provide our services to you.
- Notwithstanding the preceding paragraph, with regard to your individual number and specified personal information (hereinafter “specified personal information, etc.”), we will only use such information within the scope of achieving the following purposes:
- for processing the affairs of preparation and submission of payment records regarding the payment of remuneration, fees, contract money, awards or other considerations for services or rights, the payment of rent, etc. or consideration for transfer of real estates, etc.;
- for processing the affairs of preparation of withholding records of employment income (including retirement income), preparation of salary payment reports, submission of reports of exemption for dependents, etc., and other affairs related to tax withholding, the affairs of submission of reports, etc. on property accumulation housing savings and property accumulation pension savings, etc., and the affairs of notification and application related to health insurance, employees’ pension insurance, employment insurance and other social or labor insurances or pensions;
- in cases where our affiliated companies (*) entrust the handling of specified personal information, etc. to us, for processing the relevant affairs entrusted to us; and
- for preparation and submission of other statutory records or documents on which an individual number is required to be written under provisions of laws and regulations.
- We will not obtain from you, use, or provide to a third party, information regarding political view, religion (faith, consciousness and lineage), affiliation with any labor union, race and ethnicity, domicile of origin, health care and sexual life or criminal records (“sensitive information”) or "special care-required personal information" except as necessary for our proper business management or any other purposes deemed necessary by law.
- We may, in whole or in part, share your personal information (excluding specified personal information, etc.) with our affiliated companies including overseas companies (*) for the purposes set out in Paragraph 3 of this statement. However, we will be responsible for (i) receiving and handling all primary complaints, (ii) decisions on disclosing, correcting and stopping the use of personal information; and (iii) security measures.
* Our affiliated companies include: Morgan Stanley (a U.S. corporation), the consolidated subsidiaries of Morgan Stanley and the Affiliated Companies of Morgan Stanley or its consolidated subsidiaries. “Affiliated Companies” means the affiliated companies as defined in the Ordinance on the Terminology, Forms, and Preparation Methods of Financial Statements, etc. (Ordinance of the Ministry of Finance No.59 of November 27, 1963) and other laws and regulations.
- We may outsource all or part of the handling of your personal data or specified personal information, etc. to third parties approved by us including overseas third parties in order to accomplish the purposes set out in Paragraphs 3 and 4 above. We will supervise any such outsourcing service provider as necessary to ensure the personal data or specified personal information, etc. is secure in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
- We will take any necessary and adequate security measures and exercise adequate supervision over all officers and employees and any outsourcing service providers to protect your personal data and specified personal information, etc. against leaks, loss or damage, etc.
- You may request disclosure of the personal information we hold on you, or request the amendment, removal or updating of such personal information by writing to the information desk at the address set out in Paragraph 10 below. After we obtain satisfactory evidence of your identity, we will seek to address your request in accordance with the applicable laws and guidelines.
- If you have any questions or comments regarding your personal information or this statement, you can contact the Information Helpdesk for Personal Information in the following ways:
Information Helpdesk for Personal Information
Internal Control Division,
Morgan Stanley Japan Group Co., Ltd.
Otemachi Financial City South Tower
1-9-7 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8109
Office hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
(excluding Saturday, Sunday, national holidays and year-end through new year holidays)
- This statement may be amended from time to time. At the time of any amendment, we will publish a revised statement in substitution for this webpage.
- In order to constantly monitor and, where necessary, improve our handling of your personal information we will periodically review this statement and security measures or any other associated activities related to personal data.