Morgan Stanley was established in 1935 as a separate entity from J.P. Morgan following the enactment of the 1933 Glass-Steagall Act, which required the separation of banks and securities houses. Henry Morgan, grandson of J.P. Morgan, and Harold Stanley led the new investment bank.
Morgan Stanley quickly became a leader in arranging financing for major industries, companies and governments. Since its inception, the Firm has upheld a philosophy of building long-term relationships with clients who share its values of excellence and integrity.
At the forefront of the securities industry, Morgan Stanley joined the New York Stock Exchange in 1941 and was publicly listed in 1986. In 1970, the Firm opened a representative office in Tokyo. In 1971, the Firm expanded its core business of underwriting to include sales and trading and throughout the 1970s introduced innovative products and services in areas such as asset management, real estate, mergers & acquisitions and research.
Morgan Stanley continued to expand in global markets throughout the 1980s, opening offices in Australia, Europe and Asia as well as expanding its operations in London and Tokyo.
We were early to see the opportunity in the world’s emerging markets as we were one of the first investment banks to cover the Middle East, Russia, North Africa and India, building solid, international platform as the preeminent global financial services firm.
History of Morgan Stanley